Here are today’s five thing to know about Trail Mix:
- Trail mix is a combination of dried fruit, grains, nuts, and sometimes chocolate, developed as a snack food to be taken along on outdoor hikes.
- Trail mix is considered an ideal snack food for hikes, because it is tasty, lightweight, easy to store, and nutritious, providing a quick boost from the carbohydrates in the dried fruit and/or granola, and sustained energy from the mono- and polyunsaturated fats in nuts.
- Many claim that trail mix was first invented in 1968 by two California surfers who blended peanuts and raisins together for an energy snack.
- However, trail mix is also mentioned in Jack Kerouac’s 1958 novel The Dharma Bums as the two main characters describe their planned meals in their preparation for a hiking trip.
- The recipe for trail mix is most likely European in origin, where it has been known as…
View original post 142 more words